- All India Coordinated Research Project on Sorghum, ICAR-IIMR, Hyderabad bagged the prestigious "Chaudhary Devi Lal Outstanding All India Coordinated Research Project Award 2019" during ICARs 92nd Foundation Day celebrations held on 16 July, 2020. ::
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addresses webinar on implementation of Budget in agriculture sector ::
- The exam pattern, mode and syllabus of the Assistant Examination will be uploaded in website as and when it is decided by ICAR, New Delhi ::
- Kharif Agro Advisory
Dr. KBRS Visarada
Discipline: Genetics and Plant Breeding | Designation: Principal Scientist | At IIMR Since: 1989
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgProfile video Click here
|Degree||Institute/ University||Year of completion||Subject(s) with major field|
|Ph.D||Dept of Genetics Osmania University, Hyderabad||1999||Genetic transformation of rice through particle bombardment|
|M. Sc||School of Life Sciences, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad||1983||Life Sciences (Plant Sciences)|
|B. Sc.||Andhra University, Waltair||1981||Botany, Zoology, Chemistry|
Employment Record & Experience (Starting from the present position)
|Designation||Organization||Institution & place of posting||Period
|Principal Scientist||ICAR||Indian Institute of Millets Research, Hyderabad||2007-till date|
|Senior Scientist||ICAR||National Research Centre for Sorghum , Hyderabad||1999-2007||8 years|
|Scientist (Selection grade)||ICAR||National Research Centre for Sorghum , Hyderabad||1998-1999||1 year|
|Scientist (Senior Scale)||ICAR||National Research Centre for Sorghum , Hyderabad||1995-1998||3 years|
|Scientist S-1||ICAR||National Research Centre for Sorghum , Hyderabad||1988-1995||7 years|
|Scientist||ICAR||Directorate of Pulses Research , ( Now Indian Institute of Pulses Research) Kanpur||1986-1989||3 years|
|Junior Research Fellow||University of Delhi||Dept of Botany, University of Delhi, Delhi||1983-1986||3 years|
- Diversification of genetic base through Wide hybridization in sorghum
- For resistance to stem borer and shoot fly through inter-specific hybridization
- Diversification of parental lines of Kharif hybrids through inter-specific hybridization
- Development of high biomass lines through sorghum x maize pollinations
- Induction of male sterility in foxtail millet.
- Anther culture in pearl millet.
Recent 3 major contributions:
- Novel variants for high biomass, forage and grain types developed through wide hybridization in sorghum.
- An Indian patent application was filed, Temp/533/CHE/2009.
- Promising transgenic Bt sorghum lines developed and evaluated in two popular sweet sorghum genotypes, SSV84 and RSSV9, and two elite parental lines of popular Kharif sorghum hybrids, 296B and CS3541.
Recent awards and recognitions:
- Patent : 533/CHE/2010, KBRS Visarada, N Saikishore, N Seetharama, Genetic transformation of florets through in planta method
- Awarded best research paper at the International conference on “Emerging biotechnologies” held at Warangal, India during 28-30 Jan 2016. G Sangeeta, Jinu Jacob, G Shyamprasad, KBRS Visarada. Dry popping- an instant method for popping, molecular characterization in sorghum.
- Elected life member of Plant tissue Culture Association (PTCA-I), India.
- Was awarded TWAS visiting scientist fellowship to visit Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China during Jul-Oct 2013.
Current collaborative activities: -
Recent most significant publications:
- KBRS Visarada (2020) Overcoming inter-specific barriers in Sorghum and molecular characterization of the derivatives. Plant Breeding (in press) DOI:10.1111/pbr.12831
- Aruna C., Suguna Medicharla, KBRS Visarada, Deepika Cheruku, Ratnavathi Chamarthy, Tonapi VA (2020) Identification of Sorghum genotypes suitable for specific end uses: Semolina Recovery and popping. Journal of Cereal Science (accepted).
- C Aruna, KBRS Visarada, BV Bhat and Vilas Tonapi (2018) Breeding sorghum for diverse end uses. Book edited, Woodhead Publishing (Elsevier), 450 pp
- KBRS Visarada, Kanti Meena, Aruna, C., S. Srujana, N Saikishore, and N Seetharama (2009) Transgenic Breeding - perspectives and prospects. Crop Science 49:1555-1563
- N Saikishore, KBRS Visarada, Y Aravinda Lakshmi, E Pashupatinath, SV Rao and N Seetharama (2006) In vitro culture methods in sorghum with shoot tip as the explant material. Plant cell reports 25: 174-182
Other professional activities
- Institutional Biosafety officer
- Nodal officer –KRISHI portal
- Supervising project work of students
- Serving in different committees