- All India Coordinated Research Project on Sorghum, ICAR-IIMR, Hyderabad bagged the prestigious "Chaudhary Devi Lal Outstanding All India Coordinated Research Project Award 2019" during ICARs 92nd Foundation Day celebrations held on 16 July, 2020. ::
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addresses webinar on implementation of Budget in agriculture sector ::
- The exam pattern, mode and syllabus of the Assistant Examination will be uploaded in website as and when it is decided by ICAR, New Delhi ::
- Kharif Agro Advisory
Dr. R Madhusudhana
Discipline: Plant Breeding | Designation: Principal Scientist | At IIMR Since: 1996
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Mobile: 09618099658Profile video Click here
|Degree||Institute/ University||Year of completion||Subject(s) with major field|
|Ph D||IARI, New Delhi||1996||Genetics|
|MSc (Ag.)||UAS, Dharwad||1993||Genetics and Plant Breeding|
|BSc (Ag.)||UAS, Dharwad||1990||Agriculture|
Employment Record & Experience (Starting from the present position)
|Designation||Organization||Institution & place of posting||Period
|Principal Scientist||ICAR||Indian Institute of Millets Research, Hyderabad||20-12-2011 to till date|
|Senior Scientist||ICAR||Directorate of Sorghum Research, Hyderabad||20-12-2005 to 19-12-2011||5years,11months|
|Scientist (Sr.scale)||ICAR||Directorate of Sorghum Research, Hyderabad||20-12-2000 to 19-12-2005||4years,11months|
|Scientist||ICAR||Directorate of Sorghum Research, Hyderabad||20-12-1996 to 19-12-2000||3years,11months|
- Development of sorghum parental lines and varieties with insect resistance
- Breeding for high biomass pearl millet forage cultivars with improved quality
- Trait dissection through genetic mapping, genomics and marker-assisted breeding in sorghum and pearl millet
Recent 3 major contributions:
- Developed high yielding early duration hybrid, CSH23
- Developed high yielding variety, CSV20
- Generation and characterization of various RIL mapping populations in Sorghum
- Construction of molecular maps of sorghum genome
- Detection of QTLs for agronomic traits, resistance to shoot fly, foliar diseases, stay green etc.
- Molecular mapping major effect genes like Trichome morphology, plant color, leaf midrib color, awn cover, seed pericarp color, bloomless in sorghum
- Tagging of a gene for fertility restoration (Rf6) and epicuticular wax
- Fine mapping of fertility restoration (Rf2) locus and development of a diagnostic SSR marker
- Diagnostic SSR marker for genetic purity of A/B line and hybrid seed
Recent awards and recognitions:
- “ICAR-Jawaharlal Nehru award for outstanding doctoral thesis research-2011” for Student thesis
- Recognized as supervisor for doctoral research leading to PhD under the Department of Genetics, Osmania University, Hyderabad and in Department of Botany, Andhra University, Vishakapatnam.
- Best research paper award from National Academy of Biological Sciences, Chennai for “Mapping QTL for grain yield and other agronomic traits in post-rainy sorghum [Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench]” authored by Nagaraja Reddy R, Madhusudhana R, Murali Mohan S, Chakravarthi DVN, Mehtre SP, Seetharama N, Patil JV 2013.
- DST-BOYSCAST fellowship 2002-03
- Evaluator of doctoral and degree thesis from Agricultural Universities
- Reviewer of National and International Journal research papers
Current collaborative activities:
- Marker-assisted transfer of stay green QTLs in rabi sorghum: University of Queensland, QDPI Australia, ILRI and ICRISAT (through collaborative project funded by ACIAR Australia).
- Association mapping for forage traits in pearl millet: ICRISAT, Hyderabad, UAS, Dharwad, IISR, Mau
Recent most significant publications:
- Uttam, G. A., Praveen, M., Rao, Y.V., Tonapi, V.A., Madhusudhana, R. 2017. Molecular mapping and candidate gene analysis of a new epicuticular wax locus in sorghum (Sorghum bicolor L. Moench). Theoretical and Applied Genetics130:2109-2125 (JrnID: T054; IF: 10.13).
- Praveen, M., Uttam, A.G., Tonapi, V.A. and Madhusudhana, R. 2018. Fine mapping of Rf2, a major locus controlling pollen fertility restoration in sorghum A1 cytoplasm, encodes a PPR gene and its validation through expression analysis. Plant Breeding 137(2) :148-161 (JrnID: P086; IF: 7.34).
- Kannababu, N., Rakshit, S., Madhusudhana, R., Tonapi, V.A., Das, I.K., Raghunath, K. 2017. Identification of superior parental lines for seed quality and storability through GGE biplot analysis of line x tester data in grain sorghum. Indian Journal of Genetics and Plant Breeding (The) 77:278-286 (JrnID: I060; IF: 6.32).
- Praveen, M., Anurag Uttam, G., Madhusudhana, R. 2016. Inheritance of fertility restoration in sorghum cytoplasmic male sterility systems. International Journal of Scientific Research 4.
- Rajendrakumar, P., Hariprasanna, K., Madhusudhana, R., Umakanth, A.V., Elangovan, M. and Seetharama, N. 2017. Molecular characterization of parental lines of post-rainy sorghum using simple sequence repeat markers. J. BioSci. Biotech. 6(1): 49-57.
Other professional activities:
- Life Member, Indian Society of Genetics and Plant Breeding, New Delhi
- Life Member, Society for Millet Research, Hyderabad
- Member of various institutional support services