- All India Coordinated Research Project on Sorghum, ICAR-IIMR, Hyderabad bagged the prestigious "Chaudhary Devi Lal Outstanding All India Coordinated Research Project Award 2019" during ICARs 92nd Foundation Day celebrations held on 16 July, 2020 ::
- Call for applications for Cohort 7 under RKVY RAFTAAR scheme ::
- International Year of Millets (IYoM) 2023 - News
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addresses webinar on implementation of Budget in agriculture sector ::
- India is celebrating ‘Azadi Ka Amrut Mahotsav’. ICAR has taken up ’75 lecture series’. The scientists, students or other interested audience may click this link to follow URL for joining any lecture ::
- Advertisement no 01/2019 for filling up the post of Assistant may be treated as cancelled due to administrative reasons ::
- Kharif Agro Advisory ::
- ICAR-NAHEP in collaboration with the Crop Science Division of ICAR is organizing Hackathon Kritagya- a National Level Agtech Hackathon on “Speed breeding for Crop Improvement.::
Discipline: Economic Botany | Designation: Principal Scientist | At IIMR Since:2000
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Mobile: 09848161434Profile video Click here
|Degree||Institute / University||Year of completion||Subject(s) with major field|
|Madura College, Madurai Kamaraj University||1989||Botany|
|PhD||Annamalai University||1996||Mutation Breeding|
|DIPC||Annamalai University||1993||Pollution Control|
|DCPA||Annamalai University||1996||Computer Application|
|PGDPM & IR||Annamalai University||1997||Personnel Management|
|Rash.Vish. Uttar.||Daksh.Bha.Hindi Pra.Sabha||1995||Hindi|
Employment Record & Experience (Starting from the present position)
|Designation||Organization||Institution & place of posting||Period
|ICAR||Indian Institute of Millets Research, Hyderabad, Telangana||01-12-2014 to till date|
|Principal Scientist||ICAR||Directorate of Sorghum Research, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh||18-12-2012 to 30-11-2014||1 year and 11 months|
|Senior Scientist||ICAR||Directorate of Sorghum Research, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh||18-12-2009 to
||ICAR||Directorate of Sorghum Research, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh||18-12-2006
|Scientist (Sr. Scale)
||ICAR||National Research Centre for Sorghum, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh||18-12-2001
||ICAR||National Research Centre for Sorghum, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh||22-12-2000
||ICAR||Central Plantation Crops Research Institute, Kasaragod, Kerala|| 22-09-1999
|1 year and 3 months|
||ICAR||Central Plantation Crops Research Institute, Seed Farm, Kidu, Nettana, Karnataka||22-06-1998
|1 year and 3 months|
|Scientist||ICAR||Central Plantation Crops Research Institute, Regional Station – Vittal, Karnataka||18-12-1997
- Millets Genetic Resources Management, Millets Genebank Curator, Spatial mapping and Documentation, organizing training on Biodiversity management, IPR, DUS testing, PVP, Digital Field Book and Scientific Video Making
Recent 3 major contributions:
- Exploration / Collection: 43 explorations were undertaken and 1,372 acc. of sorghum, 695 acc. of small millets, 135 acc. of pearl millet and 584 acc. other crops collected from Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Uttarakhand, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand and Telangana.
- Augmentation / Assembling: A total of 76,329 accessions of sorghum and other millets augmented from other national and international centers. In which, 7,648 acc. received from ICRISAT, 57,296 acc. from NGB-NBPGR
- Characterization: 51,745 acc. of millets germplasm characterized for different morpho-agronomic traits (25-27 traits). This includes Sorghum (39,974 acc.), Pearl millet (5,395 acc.), Finger millet (6,722 acc.), Foxtail millet (3,228 acc.), Barnyard millet (1,101 acc.), Proso millet (550 acc.), Kodo millet (344 acc.), Little millet (269 acc.), Teff grass (47 acc.), Quinoa (11 acc.), Browntop millet (25 acc.), Jobs tear (1 acc.).Evaluation: 11,275acc. of millets germplasm evaluated for different potential traits. This includes Sorghum (pearl millet (238 acc.), core collections of Finger millet (395 acc.), Foxtail millet (96 acc.), Barnyard millet (62 acc.), Proso millet (54 acc.), Kodo millet (52 acc.) and Little millet (54 acc.) lines evaluated
- Multiplication: 47,757 acc. of millets germplasm are multiplied. Which includes, Sorghum (24,899 acc.), Pearl millet (5022 acc.), Finger millet (9,704 acc.), Foxtail millet (5,784 acc.), Barnyard millet (1,101 acc.), Proso millet (550 acc.), Kodo millet (344 acc.), Little millet (269 acc.), Teff grass (47 acc.), Quinoa (11 acc.), Browntop millet (25 acc.), Jobs tear (1 acc.).
- Conservation: 1,05,144 acc. of millets are being conserved in the Medium-term Storage of Millets Genebank (MGB), IIMR-Hyderabad. This includes 50,493 bulk samples and 49,920 voucher samples. Distribution: 84,851 acc. distributed to the bonafied users. This includes 67,709 acc. of sorghum and 17,142 acc. of other millets
- Publication: 17 international journal articles, 47 national journal articles, 28 full paper articles, 36 books/technical bulletins, 27 book chapter, 17 course materials, 42 popular articles, 11 pamphlets, 6 manuals, 41 exploration reports, 102 conference papers, 16 status reports and 20 other reports.
- Training: Organized 23 training-cum-awareness programmes on Plant Variety Protection, DUS Testing, Biodiversity and Intellectual Property Rights and trained 1,136 researchers; Organized 36 National Workshops on Digital Field Book and trained 3800 researchers.
Deputations Abroad :
- Regional Training Course on “Establishment and Management of Field Genebank for Conservation and Use” 1999, University Putra Malaysia, Malaysia between 28 September and 9 November.
- International training course on “Conservation and Management of Plant Genetic Resources in Agriculture”, fellowship sponsored by the The Netherlands Fellowship Programme (NFP), Organization for International Cooperation in Higher Education (NUFFIC) and organized by the Wageningen International, Wageningen, The Netherlands, 6th May – 19th June 2006.
- Training in the International programme on “Plant Variety Protection and DUS Testing for Indian Experts”, National Institute of Agricultural Botany (NIAB), Cambridge United Kingdom during 28th June – 9th July 2010 under the HRD Programme of ICAR – NAIP, Component I.
Recent awards and recognitions:
- Dr BR Barwale Award (2018) for Application/Excellence in Plant Genetic Resources – Society of Plant Genetic Resources, ICAR-National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources, 10th May 2019.
- Received “RYTHU MITHRA” Award for contribution towards the collection of 3000 plant genetic resources in the country during the NABARD Sponsored National Seminar “Future Challenges in Agriculture, Value Addition to Millets/Food Crops and their Nutraceutical function” on 17th December 2018 at Bapatla Pharmacy College.
- Best Assignment Award - Received Best Assignment Award for the Concept note in the form of assignment submitted on “Geospatial Technology can be used for Doubling Farmer’s Income. during the Training programme on “Geospatial Resources Management using Free and Open Source Softwares (FOSS) – QGIS, ILWIS & R” during 16-25th November 2017.
- Award - Best Scientist (Institutional Services) – Received the award for the year 2016 during the 1st IIMR Foundation day on 9th February 2017.
Current collaborative activities:
- ICAR-NBPGR, SAUs, Other Universities and AICRP on Sorghum, Small millets and Pearl millet centreson germplasm exchange and assembling. ICAR Institutes, SAUs and Other Agricultural Colleges on National Workshops on Digital Field Book
Recent most significant publications:
- Rahul Zanan & Kiran Khandagale & Vidya Hinge M. Elangovan Robert J. Henry & Altafhusain Nadaf, 2016. Characterization of fragrance in sorghum (Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench) grain and development of a gene-based marker for selection in breeding. Mol Breeding (2016) 36:146 DOI 10.1007/s11032-016-0582-8 (NAAS Score = 8.08; IF = 2.077)
- Elangovan, M., 2019. Field Book – Mobile App for Plant Genetic Resources Management. Indian J. of Plant Genet. Resour. 32(1): 36-42. DOI 10.5958/0976-1926.2019.00005.6. (NAAS Score = 5.12)
- Elangovan, M.,Prabhakar, B Amasiddha and Vilas ATonapi, 2019. Potential Finger Millet Genotypes Identified for Utilization – AICRP on Small Millets Centres (2007 – 2018), ICAR-All India Coordinated Research Project on Small Millets, ICAR–Indian Institute of Millets Research (IIMR), Rajendranagar, Hyderabad 500030, Telangana, India, 342 pp. ISBN: 81-89335-81-2.
- Elangovan, M., C Tara Satyavathi, B Amasiddha and Vilas ATonapi, 2019. Pedigree Database on Pearl Millet Elite Breeding Stocks: ICAR-AICRP on Pearl Millet (1981 – 2018), All India Coordinated Research Project on Pearl Millet, ICAR–Indian Institute of Millets Research (IIMR), Rajendranagar, Hyderabad 500030, Telangana, India, 650 pp. ISBN: 81-89335-84-7.
- Elangovan, M., B Amasiddha, KN Ganapathy and Vilas ATonapi, 2019. Pedigree database on Sorghum Elite Breeding Stocks (ICAR-AICRP on Sorghum: 2011 - 2017). ICAR-All India Coordinated Research Project on Sorghum, ICAR-Indian Institute of Millets Research (IIMR), Rajendranagar, Hyderabad 500 030, Telangana, India. PP 181. ISBN 81-89335-78-2
Other professional activities:
- Chairman, Institute Germplasm Identification Committee, ICAR-IIMR
- Genebank Curator, IIMR, Hyderabad
- Nodal Officer – HRD at ICAR-IIMR