- All India Coordinated Research Project on Sorghum, ICAR-IIMR, Hyderabad bagged the prestigious "Chaudhary Devi Lal Outstanding All India Coordinated Research Project Award 2019" during ICARs 92nd Foundation Day celebrations held on 16 July, 2020. ::
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addresses webinar on implementation of Budget in agriculture sector ::
- The exam pattern, mode and syllabus of the Assistant Examination will be uploaded in website as and when it is decided by ICAR, New Delhi ::
- Kharif Agro Advisory
Dr. B. Gangaiah
Discipline: Agronomy | Designation: Principal Scientist | At DSR Since: 20th January, 2020
|Degree||Institute / University||Year of completion||Subject(s) with major field|
|PG Diploma||IGNOU||2017||Disaster Management|
|Ph D||Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi||1995||Agronomy|
|M.Sc. (Ag)||Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University, Hyderabad||1991||Agronomy|
|B.Sc. (Ag)||Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University, Hyderabad||1989||Agricultural|
Employment Record & Experience (Starting from the present position)
|Designation||Organization||Institution & place of posting||Period
|Principal Scientist||ICAR||IIMR, Hyderabad||20 January 2020- till date|
|Director (Acting)||ICAR||Central Island Agricultural Research Institute, Port Blair||September-November, 2019||3 months|
|Head, NRM Division||ICAR||Central Island Agricultural Research Institute, Port Blair||01-12-2014 - 2019||5 yrs|
|Principal Scientist||ICAR||Directorate of Rice Research, Hyderabad||17-2-2011-30-11-2014||3 years 9 months|
|Senior Scientist ICAR||ICAR||Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi||2003-2011||7 years 11 months|
|Scientist||ICAR||Indian Grassland and Fodder Research Institute, Regional Station Dharwad, Karnataka||1997-2003||5 years 10 months|
|Scientist||ICAR||Indian Grassland and Fodder Research Institute, Regional Station Avikanagar, Rajasthan||1995-1997||1 year 8 months|
- Principal Investigator- AICRP (Agronomy)
Recent major contributions:
- Plastic film mulch cultivation of rice and Aluminum sheet mulching in plantation cropsfor resource conservation
- Ensiling (silage, haylage & hay) technology for rice fodder (C-14-8 cultivar)
- Technology for restoration of agriculture in tsunami affected lands of Andaman & Nicobar Islands evolved and prepared contingency plans for changing climate for 3 districts of Andaman & Nicobar Islands
Recent awards and recognitions:
- Fellow, Andhra Pradesh Akademi of Sciences, November, 2019.
- Vice President, Andaman Science Association, 2019
- Research Scientist Award, Ritunestam, September, 2019
Current collaborative activities:
- Natural resource (soil, water, weed) management in crops and cropping systems (fodder, rice, plantation crops) for efficient use and profitable production
Recent most significant publications:
- B Gangaiah, MBB Prasad babu, PC Latha, T Vidhan Singh and P Raghuveerrao. (2019). Rice cultivation using plastic mulch under saturated moisture regime and its implications on weed management, water saving, productivity and profitability. Indian Journal of Weed Science 51(2), 198-202.
- B. Gangaiah and Abbubaker. (2019). Effect of mulching on weed management in areca nut in Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Indian Journal of Weed Science51(3),312-318.
- B. Gangaiah. (2019). Weed management in areca nut (Areca catechu L) plantation during post rainy season through herbicides in Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Journal of Crop and Weed 15(2), 148-154.
- B.Gangaiah.(2019). Evaluation of rice hybrids in Andaman & Nicobar Islands as a tool to augment the local production capabilities. Annals of Agricultural Research 40(2),140-144.
- B. Gangaiah, S. Swain, Abbubaker and MNV Nagalaaxmi. (2019). Hay production from paddy (Oryza sativa L) to augment fodder resources of Andaman and Nicobar Islands for supporting the livestock production systems. Range Management & Agroforestry 40 (In press).
- B. Gangaiah. (2019). Nutrient omission plot technique for yield response, indigenous nutrient supply and nutrient use efficiency estimation of rice (Oryza sativa L.) crop in Andaman & Nicobar Island. Oryza56(4) In Press.
- ChSrinivasarao, KV Rao, KA Gopinath, YG Prasad, A Arunachalam, DBV Ramana, G Ravindra Chary, B Gangaiah, B Venkateswarlu and T Mohapatra. (2020). Agriculture contingency plans for managing weather aberrations and extreme climatic events: Development, implementation and impacts in India. Advances in Agronomy 159, 35-91.
- ChSrinivasarao, C Subha Lakshmi, Y Sudha Rani, KC Nataraj, B Gangaiah, M Jaya Laxmi, M Vijay SankarBabu, Usha Rani, S Nagalakshmi, R Manasa. (2019). Soil Health Issues for Sustainability of South Asian Agriculture. EC Agriculture 5(6), 1-17.
Books and book chapters
- B Gangaiah, Pooja Bohra, HarshaHaridas, PA Bala, K Sakthivel, SK Zamir Ahmed, N Bommayasamy, K Saravanan, SK Singh and TP Swarnam. (2019). An Overview of Integrated Farming Systems of Coastal India. 1-189 p. ICAR-CIARI, Port Blair, Andaman & Nicobar Islands. (Book).
- A Kundu, SK Zamir Ahmed, Jai Sunder, B Gangaiah, BA Jerard, R Kiruba-Sankar, S Dam Roy, RK Gautam, P K Singh, D Bhattacharya, T Janakiram and W S Dhillon. (2019). Strategies for development of agriculture and allied sectors in Andaman and Nicobar & Lakshadweep groups of Islands. (Policy Brief).
- B.Gangaiah, TSubramani, KR Kiran, AVelmurugan, Sachidananda Swain and TP Swarnam. (2019). Organic Farming in Coastal Ecosystems of India: Present Status and Future Prospects. pp. 293-310. In: Organic farming.KAGopinath and AVRamanjaneyulu. (Eds), Daya Publishing House, New Delhi. (Book Chapter)
- B Gangaiah, BA Jerard, SK Zamir Ahmed, R Jaya Kumaravaradan, S Dam Roy, R Kiruba Sankar, PK Singh, K Shaktivel, A Kundu and S Swain. (2019). Rural Employment and Industrial Opportunities in Agriculture Sector in Islands of India. Pp 46-53. In: India Back to Gandhi: Rural Business Summit and Trade Fair 2019- Crafting Livelihood for Rural India, MSME, Government of India, New Delhi. (Book Chapter)
- B Gangaiah. (2019). Natural resources perspective of livestock farming in Andaman & Nicobar Islands. pp. 177-182. In: Hands on training programme on cutting edge molecular and bioinformatics tools for indigenous livestock conservation, ICAR-CIARI, Port Blair, August-September, 2019. (Book chapter)
- B Gangaiah. (2019). Restoration of agriculture in tsunami affected lands of Andaman and Nicobar Islands: A way to tackle future sea level rise too. In: Proceedings of the 106th Indian Science Congress, Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar, Punjab, 2019, Section of Agriculture and Forestry Sciences, 181-182 pp.
- S. Swain, B.Gangaiah, T.Subramani, and K R Kiran. (2019). Scope for development of Agro-based rural industries in the Andaman & Nicobar Islands. pp.17. In: Book of Abstracts, National Seminar on Prospects for Agro-based rural industries in Andaman & Nicobar Islands – A way to growth. 6-7 March, 2019, JNRM College, Port Blair, A & N Islands.
Other professional activities
- Editor, Indian Journal of Agronomy
- Life Member, Arid Zone Research Association of India (CAZRI, Jodhpur), Indian Society of Agronomy (IARI, New Delhi), Indian Society of Pulses Research & Development (IIPR, Kanpur), Andaman Science Association (CIARI, Port Blair), Association of Rice Research Workers (NRRI, Cuttack), Indian Society of Weed Science (IIWR, Jabalpur).
- Fellow, ISPRD, Kanpur-2009
- Fellow, ISA, New Delhi -2011
- Fellow, ASA, Port Blair -2015
- Secretary, Indian Society of Agronomy, New Delhi (2009-10)
- Advisor, State Specific Action Plan-Water, Andaman & Nicobar Islands (2019
- Expert Member, Wetland Ecology, Andaman & Nicobar Administration (2017-2020)